Got a question about GradPad?
If you can't find an answer to your question below, please do contact a member of the GradPad team who will be happy to help.
Arranging a Viewing
- Can I come and take a look at the accommodation before I book?
Yes, of course. Our show flats are open between 9am and 5 pm Monday to Sunday (excluding bank holidays). To book a viewing, please complete this online contact form.
Future Residents 2020-21
- My course is being taught online until January – can my contract start in January?
We are unable to offer shorter contracts or delay the start dates. All contracts are for 51 weeks and will start as normal this Autumn.
- Can I cancel my studios if I don’t get a visa?
Yes. If you don’t get a visa, or don’t get a place on your course, then you can cancel your studio and receive your £200 deposit back. Evidence may be required
- Can I cancel my studio if I defer university for a year? What happens to my deposit?
You are welcome to cancel your studio, but as this would be your choice to defer university, you are not eligible for the deposit to be refunded.
- Can I cancel my studio before I move in?
Once we’ve sent you an offer of accommodation you have 10 days to accept the contract. Within these 10 days you can cancel your room by emailing the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be able to cancel and we will refund your £200.
Once you’ve accepted your contract you can cancel your licence but will not be eligible for a refund of the £200. You cannot cancel you contract in the 30 days leading up to your check-in date. Please email the team for more information.
The cancellation policy can also be found in your licence agreement.
- I want to come and view the studios before moving in
The first thing to do is check out our virtual tours! Click on the links below to take a look around GradPad from the comfort of your home:
We’ve recently recorded some extra video tours! Email us if you would like to see these as well.
If you still want to come and view the building in person, please get in contact and we can discuss the process and book an appointment for you. In person viewings are by appointment only.
- I’m coming to GradPad from abroad and need to isolate – how can you help me?
The Government guidelines state that you should self-isolate in one place for the full 14 days, where you can have food and other necessities delivered, and stay away from others. You must self-isolate at the address you provided on the public health passenger locator form.
When booking a studio you should choose a check in date that will allow you to self isolate before your course begins. If we do not have any dates available that are suitable please get in contact by email email@example.com as we have a small number of studios that have flexible check in dates.
You should not have visitors, including friends and family, unless they are providing essential care.
You cannot visit public areas. You should not go shopping. If you require help buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, you should ask friends or order a delivery.
How we can help you:
We aim to help any residents that are traveling back to the UK and are required to self-isolate. We would like to offer our support in the following ways:
- An area will be made available in reception for perishable deliveries (take away food/online food shopping) where a delivery driver can leave your items for you to collect later, in order to make the process completely contactless, Wood Lane Studios staff and delivery drivers. The area will be clearly marked and accessible at all times
- An arrangement can be made for parcels to be delivered to your studio. This service will only be available to those self-isolating and between 9am and 4pm. Please contact reception to arrange. You will still be able to access your mailbox, as long as you adhere to the social distancing policy
- Loaned items will not be available to any residents during their 14-day self-isolation period. However, we can arrange to vacuum your studio and flush all the outlets before your arrival. Please let the reception team know if you require this service
- Maintenance requests should be reported via email only and please communicate that you are self-isolating when making the request. Maintenance will be limited to just emergencies requests for those who are self-isolating. All other requests will be resolved after the 14-day period
- We appreciate that Isolation can be an extremely tough time and the RA team are available for vital peer to peer support throughout your isolation
- Guest policy is still suspended for overnight guests for all residents. Although day guests are allowed in open air areas while observing social distancing, this will not be available to those self-isolating
Booking and Tenancy
- Who can live at GradPad?
GradPad is available exclusively to full-time postgraduate students studying at a London university.
- How do I book a studio?
You can book a studio in three simple steps. Simply choose your preferred location and studio type, pay a fully refundable holding deposit and submit your details online. You’re then ready to move in once your contract begins.
- What other information will I need to provide?
Using our secure online portal you’ll need to review and accept your contract (Accommodation Licence). You’ll also need to upload the following documents:
- A profile photo (face & shoulders)
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of your UK student visa (if applicable)
- Copy of University Offer Letter
If you’re paying your rent in instalments your Guarantor will need to provide:
- Guarantor’s proof of UK address (from the last 3 months)
- Guarantor’s passport
- Guarantor’s UK permanent visa / residence card (if applicable)
- Can I share a studio with someone else?
Our Premium Studio options are available to share as long as both you and your co-tenant are over 18 and studying a full-time, postgraduate course in London. Simply tell us the name of the second resident and provide evidence of their student status when you book.
Please note that Premium Studios only contain a double bed.
- Can I change the name of my co-tenant as often as I like?
You must tell us the name of the co-tenant when you book your room. This can be changed once during the term of the license subject to an admin fee, which is currently £50.
- What happens if I book a studio but I’m not able to study in London?
If you don’t get a place at your chosen university or your student visa application is unsuccessful, we will refund you the full deposit amount. Simply tell us in writing, enclosing documents from the university, at least 30 days before the start of your tenancy.
- What happens if I book a studio but I’ve changed my mind?
If you change your mind, just let us know in writing within 10 days of receiving your formal offer from GradPad in order to receive a full refund of your deposit.
This doesn’t apply to tenancies where the Accommodation Licence has been accepted by the future tenant prior to the 10-day cooling off expiry date, and to studios booked within 30 days of the contract start date. For full details, see our sample accommodation licence.
- What’s the contract length?
All of our tenancies are fixed for 51 weeks.
- When can I move in?
You’ll be given a choice of three contract start dates when you book. You’re able to move in anytime on or after the start of your contract, but not before. If you’ll be arriving on a different day to the start of your contract, just let us know so that we can make the necessary arrangements to welcome you when you arrive.
Unfortunately we’re not able to extend contracts, so please select a start date that best aligns with your course dates.
- I need to move out early. Now what happens?
You can move out whenever you’re ready, but you’ll still need to pay your rent until the end of the 51-week contract. If you wish to leave your contract early for any reason, you’ll need to find a like-for-like replacement (a postgraduate student studying at a London university) in order to do so. This also applies for students who wish to be released from their contract for field trips or overseas projects.
- Can I choose which floor to live on?
Studios are allocated on a first come first served basis. When you book, you’ll see all of the available options, simply select your preferred floor from the options available. We make every effort to accommodate special requests. If you have a preference, please let us know in the special requirements box when booking.
- When will I find out my room number?
You’ll be given your room number when you move in. Please don’t arrange for items to be delivered before your move in date as we’re unable to store anything that arrives before you do.
- When is my first rent payment due?
Your first payment is due 30 days before your contract start date.
- I’ve paid my deposit, is my studio guaranteed?
Your studio is reserved as soon as you pay the £200 holding deposit. We’ll then send you an official offer via email within 7 days to confirm the room type, contract dates and rent amount. To guarantee your studio, you’ll need to accept the offer of accommodation within 10 days. Please note the Accommodation Licence becomes legally binding as soon as you accept it on your GradPad portal, regardless of this being before the 10-day cooling off period expiry date.
- Can I pay my rent in instalments?
Yes, you can pay your rent at the start of each university term as long as you have a UK-based guarantor. If you don’t have a UK-based guarantor, you’ll need to pay your rent in full at least 30 days before your tenancy begins.
- What is a UK-based guarantor?
A guarantor is someone who will sign your contract and agrees to be liable for your rent if you don’t make the payments. They’ll need to live and work in the UK full-time, usually a friend or family member. You can find out more in our information for guarantors page.
- What if I don’t have a guarantor?
We’ve partnered with Housing Hand, which provides a guarantor service for students. For more information or to apply, please visit Housing Hand or call +44 (0)20 7205 2625.
- What’s included in my rent?
Your rent includes all of your utility bills (gas, electric and water), Wi-Fi and contents insurance. There is also free-of-charge access to all on-site facilities, such as the gym, concierge service and social spaces.
- Are there any hidden charges?
No, there are no hidden charges!
If you choose to have a TV in your studio or watch live TV on your computer, tablet or smartphone you’re required by law to buy a TV license. Laundry facilities are available on site at an additional cost.
- Will I get my deposit back when I move out?
Yes, your security deposit (£200) will be refunded to you when you move out, provided there is no damage to your studio.
- I paid my £200 deposit more than 7 days ago, but still have not received my contract. Is something wrong?
No, in some cases it can take a little longer for offers to be sent out. If you still haven’t received your offer within 14 days please contact us.
Living at GradPad
- How fast is the internet connection?
Our internet connection reaches up to 100Mb. Wi-Fi is available throughout our properties including all common areas and outside spaces.
- Do you have accessible studios available?
Yes. We have a number of wheelchair accessible studios available, each of which are reserved until 1st August every year. After this date accessible rooms are released for standard occupancy.
- What will happen to my post?
All post is delivered to our 24-hour concierge staff. Each resident has access to a lockable post box for letters and small parcels. Larger packages can be collected from reception.
Please do not arrange for post to be delivered to you before you move in, as we’re unable to store anything that arrives before you do!
- Will I be able to securely store my bike?
Yes, large indoor bike storage is available at both residences.
- Am I allowed to smoke in my studio?
No, our residences are all strictly non-smoking.
- What furniture is included in the studio?
Studios are fitted with:
- Bed (¾ bed in all Standard Studios and double bed in some Premium Studios)
- Desk and chair
- Sofa chair
- Drawer unit
- Internet data point
- TV point
- Breakfast bar with stools or dining table and chairs
- Kitchenette with fridge/freezer, microwave oven with grill, 2 ring ceramic hob and extractor fan, kitchen sink and cupboards
- En-suite with shower cubicle, toilet and sink, shaver socket, towel rails and bathroom cabinet.
- Do I have to share a bathroom?
No, all of our studios have a private en-suite bathroom.
- Will there be bedding, kitchen appliances and utensils supplied in my studio?
Most students prefer to bring their own bedding and kitchen items, so we don’t provide these. When you move in you’ll need to bring your own bedding, plates, cutlery and other necessary items.
If you’d prefer to have your essential items delivered to your studio before you arrive, our partner UniKitOut can do just that. You can also take advantage of our 10% discount, by using the code GRAD10.
- Is there a cleaning service available?
All communal areas are cleaned daily. You are responsible for cleaning your studio. However, there is a cleaning service available at an additional cost. If you’d like to use this service, please contact reception.
- Is there a curfew?
No, you’re welcome to come and go as you please.
- What do I do if something in my studio breaks?
Our on-site Maintenance Teams are on hand to fix any problems in your room, from repairing leaking taps to replacing light bulbs. Simply tell reception what the problem is and they’ll arrange for the team to fix it as soon as possible.
- Will I have to pay for damage in my studio?
You are responsible for paying for any damaged items in your studio. The cost of these items will be detailed in your check-in inventory and will be deducted from your security deposit.
- Are there laundry facilities on site?
All residences have 24-hour laundry facilities (charges apply) with extra large washing and drying machines, which are managed by our partners, Circuit laundry. Circuit offers a handy app where you can check machine availability, track your wash and top-up your payment card online.
- Do I have to pay extra to use the gym?
No, access to the gym is included in the price of your rent. All you’ll need to do is complete a short sign-up form before you can start using the gym.
- Do I need a TV license?
If you have a TV in your room or watch live TV on your computer, tablet or smartphone you’ll need to purchase a TV license by law. Check whether you need a licence and apply online.
- Is insurance included with my studio?
We’ve partnered with leading insurance provider Endsleigh to provide comprehensive contents insurance to all students. This is included in the cost of your rent.
This cover doesn’t protect items including bikes, musical instruments, mobile phones, laptops, other gadgets and items when you are outside of your room. It’s important to check this cover and fully understand the protection provided. You can check what’s covered, key exclusions and limitations, policy excess, how to make a claim and extend your cover to protect laptops, mobile phones and other valuables by visiting the Endsleigh website and entering the policy number HH1118a.
In the event that you need to make a claim, you must report your loss immediately to the insurer. If theft is suspected, you must call the police and get a crime report number before the insurance claim can be made
- Is there anywhere to park my car?
Unfortunately there is no car parking at either of our residences. However, both residences are only minutes away from the nearest bus stop and train stations.
It may be possible to park a motorcycle or scooter at Wood Lane Studios at the discretion of the Management Team.
- Can I have a guest to stay?
Yes. You’re able to host up to two guests in your studio at any one time. Overnight guests can stay for up to 14 nights in a month. All guests will need to sign in at reception when they arrive and will be expected to follow the property rules and respect fellow residents.
- What do I need to bring with me when I move in?
You’ll need to bring the following items with you when you move in:
- Your booking confirmation
- Your passport as photo ID
- Your personal items and anything else you’d like to bring to make you feel at home
- Can I have my luggage delivered before I arrive?
Storage space is extremely limited, so we can only accept deliveries from UniKitOut before your contract begins.
- Can I move in early?
The earliest you can move in is 9 am on the first day of your contract. We offer a choice of three move in dates per year, so you’ll be able to select the best move in date for you.
- What time can I move in?
You’re able to move in anytime after 9 am on your move-in date. If you are planning to arrive after 5 pm or at a later date, please let us know so we can arrange for a member of the team to greet you.
- Do you offer an airport pick-up service?
Unfortunately we don’t offer a scheduled airport shuttle service. You can pre-book taxi services directly to your studio. We recommend ATC taxis for transfers to Griffon Studios +44 (0)20 7223 5000 and Regal Cars for Wood Lane Studios +44 (0)20 7229 8884.
- My family/friends are helping me move in. Can you suggest somewhere for them to stay?
Yes, we can offer preferential rates at some of our partner hotels in London. Please contact the Imperial College Hotel Reservations Team who will be happy to assist.